WICKWAR & CO. 6 POLAND STREET, Manufacturers to H.M. Stationery Office,
A Victorian Black Leather Despatch Box C1860, the top with chamfered edges, decorative tooling, and a brass swing handle. The Victorian Royal Insignia is impressed in the centre, and the title 'ASSISTANT COMMISSIONERS'* stamped on the front edge. The Bramah Patent lock, stamped S. Mordan & Co. London, retains its original key. The interior with raised sides is lined with black leather cloth.
Weight 2.5 kg
Size 38.5 x 26 x 13 cm
*The rank of Assistant Commissioner was introduced by the Police Act 1856, which abolished the two Joint Commissioners and established a single Commissioner (Sir Richard Mayne) assisted by two Assistant Commissioners. The Assistant Commissioner (Administrative) was in charge of administration and discipline. The Assistant Commissioner (Executive) was in charge of executive business, supplies and buildings. The first two men to fill these posts were Lieutenant-Colonel Douglas Labalmondière and Captain William C. Harris respectively.